Saturday, January 4, 2014

Passion

No, not that kind of passion. 

Though it could be, really. All kinds are included in what I'm talking about today, which is a definition I've only just realized. Passion is something you don't ever want to stop.

I was just reading the biography of Aitthipat Kulapongvanich, born in 1984, who dropped out of school in his teens to be an entrepreneur. He's currently the CEO of one of the most successful snack food companies in Thailand.

This guy's a billionaire.

A lot of good stuff in his story, but what caught my attention was that, despite all the hardships he went through, he never got tired of work. He was passionate about it.

And that reminded me of a quote by another, perhaps more famous business luminary.


You may have heard of him.
                                                                
Steve Jobs said that you have to be passionate about what you do with your life. If you're not, you won't have the perseverance to keep doing it against all odds. (I paraphrase.) 

And that, in turn, made me think. I want to be a writer, but am I passionate about it?

I could spin you a good argument that I am. 

I like reading. The written word has always entertained me. Whether flat or colourful, vibrant or dull, it remains a window into the thoughts, the minds...the worlds of others. I like stories. Experiences both real and fictional, that I long for, or would rather not share in truth, or those I had never even imagined. They interest me. 

And I like order. Writing is, at its heart, a weaving of thought and memory into a form others can understand - creating order from chaos. There is beauty in that.

All that sounds nice, doesn't it. But see, I'm good at making arguments. We all are - to ourselves if no one else. Yet the truth is that a lot of the time, at their core, our choices come down to our feelings. And when I sit down to write, I don't always have the right ones. I'll be bored, or distracted. Sometimes I'll give in and go do something else. 

But when I don't, sooner or later I'll feel it: the drive to keep going, to create something that is, in its purest form, an expression of myself, as well as the satisfaction that comes from doing so. And a part of me won't ever want to stop.

So think about it. What's your passion?

No comments:

Post a Comment