Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Random Thoughts

Because I'm too lazy busy to write out one of my longer articles, I'm just posting about various media currently running through my mind, for the amusement and edification of yours. No thanks are needed. I live to entertain.

A cousin of mine once said the desire to entertain runs in our family. In the guys, at least. It strikes me that this might actually be true.

Anyway, first off: Inside Out. The new Disney movie? I was quite surprised how much I enjoyed it. In contrast to the happily-ever-afters of yore, Disney/Pixar are now trying for more realistic themes in their animation. E.g. Frozen, though that movie was aimed more towards girls. Inside Out's final insight about the nature of emotions is universal - and I didn't see it coming. I recommend it. 

If you're going to tell me cartoons are for kids, (1) you have no soul. And (2), not when they're as smart as this.

Second: Scott Lynch. Not one of the biggest names in fantasy fiction, but an excellent writer whose breakout novel took the fantasy world by storm. I was blown away by said novel, I own the second and I still haven't gotten my hands on the third. The man is an inspiration. And a fellow gamer, no less. 

So I was quite surprised to learn he's been struggling with clinical depression for years - and makes no secret of this. It made me realize a couple things. One is that this illness can strike just about anyone. 

The other is that I have never reached the depths of the truly depressed. I mean, I've had episodes. I know what an anxiety attack feels like. But I always bounce back. To struggle to even get out of bed in the way he describes...I can barely imagine it. I guess my mental health is in order.

On the impossibly remote chance he's reading this, for what it's worth, I offer Mr Lynch my support.

Third: I was looking up rising stars in fantasy today and came across Ken Liu's The Grace of Kings, an epic based on ancient Chinese history. Looks interesting, no? It turns out he was already on the rise well before this. He was the first author to win the Hugo, Nebula and World Fantasy awards for the same story. 

That's kind of a big deal.


Go on. It's free. 'Paper Menagerie' brought tears to my eyes, and made me think of my mother. 

And finally: All Time Low's 'Missing You'. This is not their usual style, which might even increase the impact. I like the band, and I love this song. 

No comments:

Post a Comment