Friday, January 1, 2021

Good Morning, 2021


 

I’m actually writing this past noon, but screw it. We’re all up late on New Year’s Day.

I’ll keep this short because honestly, I don’t have much to say. 2020 was a terrible year for the world at large. It wasn’t the best in my tiny little portion of existence either.

On one hand, I was lucky in that the pandemic didn’t affect me as much as other people. My job was deemed essential and I spent the lockdowns going to work as usual. We were even able to go on vacation not long before Malaysia shut down back in March, and I took a second, shorter trip later in the year. It was my first time taking a flight by myself. That’s progress. Looking forward to traveling more in the future.

On the other hand, 2020 was the year my mom passed away. Kind of a big deal, to make the understatement of the century. Life changes when a loved one’s ends. I’m glad we were able to spend the lockdown in the first half of the year together, the last few months she had left. Looking back, I’m so, so thankful that she pulled through her emergency surgery and chemotherapy back in 2017. Those last few years were all the more precious for it. At least we still had time to be together. We still had time. Not everyone can say the same.

And now here I am, on the verge of turning thirty. It’s a strange feeling. I’m nearly the same age my parents were when they got married. Am I ready to be a husband? To be a father? Time to start thinking about these things, you know.

The vaccines are out, there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. As long as we’re alive, there’s hope for a better tomorrow. More importantly, it’s up to us to make a better today. Time to set goals and pursue them, to stay the course and put in the work. And to have fun too, goddammit. Life is too short not to. More posts about books and video games and life lessons coming soon. And I should really, finally finish writing Wraithblade.

Happy New Year, everyone! Let’s make 2021 our best year yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment