Friday, August 28, 2015

Why I Love Video Games

I remember a scene from The Simpsons Movie. Springfield is about to be destroyed. The fat, balding, single guy who runs the comic book store looks around and says, "You know, I've devoted my entire life to comic books. And now that it's about to end, all I can think is..."

*embraces pile of comics*

"Life well spent!"

I have the disturbing feeling a part of me might actually say that.

Not about comics, though. I have nothing against them. But the pantheon of superheroes, in its original form, is a little arcane. Where do you start? And though they are flashy, I can't summon enough interest for books of pictures compared to books without. I'm weird that way.

We all feel a certain way about treasured elements of childhood. And comic books weren't a meaningful part of mine. Other forms of media were - two in particular.

One of those was regular books. I've already waxed on about those extensively, and will continue to do so. (If that wasn't obvious.) I'm already planning another post in the same vein as this one, examining just why I love to read.

This would be the other.

Looking back, I have wondered just how healthy my hobby is. I mean, it's not like this is all I do. But I have spent a fair amount of time on it - time that could have been used for other things. Learning a new language, or a musical instrument, or working on that fantasy novel I'm always talking about. 

But then again - I've done those things too. 

I enjoyed them all. I think a key decision in how we live our lives is choosing whether to feel bad about what we didn't do, or to feel good about what we did. And life is too short to neglect the things we enjoy - including this one.

I might as well embrace it.

Today I'll be talking about why I love video games.

What gave me the idea for this post in the first place was thinking about my choices of entertainment. I'll sometimes go online to Google random things. Occasionally I'll still watch TV, or go see a movie, or read a (local) comic. But I spend far more time reading books and playing video games.

And since I tend to ask odd questions - my first reaction to a refrigerator water dispenser was to ask how it worked; a cousin said I have a curious soul - I thought, why is that?

I realized it comes down to interactivity.

Those other things I mentioned are all static. You take them in without needing to give anything back. I find them shallow. There are a few exceptions to that, but not many.

Well okay, you do interact with the internet, and I just said I'm naturally curious. So it makes sense that that takes third place.

Yes, books are interactive. They're blueprints for your imagination - you're required to visualize the information presented. But I'll make that argument elsewhere.

And video games are all about immersion.

Which is stating the obvious. But let me go on: it's immersion in the things that interest me.

I have another cousin who's also into video games. He prefers racing games with real cars, shooters based in the real world, and sports games. Realism appeals to him, and he admits he finds more fantastical titles boring.

And that's fine. We all have our own interests. But in my case, I have to admit - I find realism boring.

Well, no, not exactly. Realism in fiction is important; it provides contrast for the things that aren't real. Part of what made Skyrim so appealing was that it looks like Norway. But a Norway where you run around fighting dragons and shooting lightning out of your hands.


Watch the skies, traveller.

To put it another way: I value imagination. I like sci-fi/fantasy because it's not real. It's the legacy of people with stories to tell who actually told them. People who wanted to create new worlds, and did. That's pretty inspiring, don't you think?

And video games are the closest you can get to exploring those worlds for yourself.

Another part is, quite simply, the rush. 

Now, that can mean a lot of things. Different elements appeal to different kinds of people. I just said I like exploration. I also like action and shooting, and dislike stealth. Other people love stealth. I'll be the mage, the fighter, the super-soldier; other people want to be assassins. Or tacticians, city planners, vigilantes, F1 racers. Building armies, solving puzzles, killing zombies or flying starships. Very different activities, yes? But they can all be satisfying.

Video games are meant to be played. A game can have pretty graphics and an amazing score. But if the gameplay is tedious, frustrating, or simply cliché, the enjoyment fades fast. 

Which often comes down to taste - what it is, exactly, that you enjoy. Fans are fickle creatures. 

But if asked what my favourite games are, I would answer: the ones where I had the most fun.

Besides. For better or worse - I'm good at them.

All right, all right. I probably wouldn't win any awards. But I'll usually know what I'm doing.

I remember testing out someone else's copy of Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor a few months back. He commented on how I was already doing better than he was. It wasn't that I'd ever played the game before. I just knew that the key to any action game is learning how to block and dodge.

I did mention that I've spent a lot of time reading and playing games. And just like my reading speed is off the charts, I've learned a few tricks in video games. Utilizing cover in shooters; timing your movements in platformers. It's the little things that make a difference. 

I admit it. I like exploring new worlds because by now, the experience is familiar. 

And finally: they create the illusion of freedom.

For me at least, books and video games are the closest you can get to stepping into a story. Any one you like. From a modern-day soldier fighting in the Middle East, to an explorer searching mythical jungle ruins, to a much darker take on Alice in Wonderland.


Off with their heads.
                 
To quote George Martin, 'A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.'

I think that applies to games too. I like being a part of the stories they tell, the sense of stepping out of your life and into another. That can be taken too far, and is probably the most valid criticism towards video games. You really can lose yourself in them. All good things in moderation.

But at the same time, I think objecting to the experience because it's 'not real' is the same as saying that if man was meant to fly, he'd have been born with wings. 

Writers still write. Developers still make games. The Wright Brothers still dreamed up their aircraft.

How can they say we don't have wings when in our minds, we soar?

So think about it. Tell me in the comments, if you have time. Why do you like the things you like?



No comments:

Post a Comment