Saturday, September 10, 2016

Fireflight

Music time!

You might remember that the last time I talked about music, it was a female singer. This band has a female singer too.

That’s pretty much all they have in common.

I don’t like a lot of rock bands with female vocalists – simply because I don’t know many of them. I never got into Paramore. Evanescence is good, but too emo. Halestorm’s cover of ‘Bad Romance’ gave me goosebumps - wait for the chorus. But they’re a little too hardcore for my taste.

Then there’s the band I’m talking about today:
 Fireflight.

Let us pause to appreciate how cool that name is.

I first found them years ago while browsing AMVs (anime music videos) on YouTube. Yes, that’s a thing. Basically scenes from one anime or another mixed and matched with an appropriate soundtrack. Looking for a series I liked, I came across one with the song ‘Unbreakable’.

Nice, right?

I liked it, at any rate. I eventually gave up on the series – not enough action. But I never forgot the band.

They’re a Christian rock band. You could guess that from most of their tracks. I was surprised, though. My idea of Christian music was the uplifting sort. This was heavier. You get the impression many songs were written in darker moments. Hope, despair and the struggle to believe are common themes.

Not to give the wrong impression. Their music is all about moving past those moments. I guess it is uplifting that way.

Defiant. That’s the word. This is the kind of sound that goes really, really well with fight scenes.

Every band has its own style. While theirs is epic, it’s also rather serious. Sometimes I prefer rock music that’s more fun and lighter-hearted, All Time Low or Simple Plan – with the caveat that those bands can get pretty serious themselves. Mileage may vary on the religious themes.

But still. At their best, Fireflight sounds awesome.

It’s getting late, I should wrap this up. So one last song. One of my favorites, and an appropriate one, I think, given that I’m writing this at night.

This is a different kind of lullaby.

Ladies and gentlemen –

For Those Who Wait’.


No comments:

Post a Comment