Sunday, September 4, 2016

Kubo

Today I’m talking about Kubo and the Two Strings.



I just saw this the other night. It’s a great story. Like all great stories, it’s about a hero with a terrible burden. 

In ancient Japan, young Kubo is a gifted storyteller. A clever, kindhearted boy in an eyepatch, with the power to bring origami creatures to life, his tales leave crowds enthralled. But his mother warns that he must never go out at night. Long ago, dark forces killed his father and tore out Kubo’s eye. They still hunt him for the other.

For all their cruelty, these enemies are Kubo’s own family. His mother’s sisters, and his grandfather, the Moon King. It’s only a matter of time before they find him…

Now, with a guardian spirit monkey and a giant samurai insect as allies, Kubo sets out to confront the Moon King at last.

Okay, intro over.

This is a hero’s journey, plain and simple.


The road goes ever on and on...

A quest, an adventure, thrills and spills. Good old-fashioned good versus evil. It’s as archetypal as you can get.

And I loved it. Simple is fine. This is the storytelling equivalent of comfort food.

Though I suppose mileage may vary. I admit that I did identify with Kubo, more than I expected. His relationship with his mother struck a little too close to home. 

Also, I kind of have a thing for Japan. The aesthetic of it all appeals to me. The moon sisters in particular are excellent villains, their true faces hidden behind eerie Noh masks.


Creepy.

I was a little put off by the clash between the setting and the American voices. I’m one of those people who watch anime in the original Japanese. But I guess I’m expecting too much there.

If it wasn’t obvious, I fully endorse this movie. It’s darker than you might expect. But the themes are universal. This is a story of hope and fear, love and loss – and family.

Kubo’s journey will move you.

I guarantee it.

No comments:

Post a Comment