Sunday, December 3, 2017

30 Things That Make Me Happy

So this started out as a challenge on Habitica: every day in November, write down one thing that made you happy. This was easier on some days, harder on others. But it’s been a good exercise in mindfulness. I think I’ll keep doing it. All too often, we focus on the gloom in our lives. This has been a way to keep track of the bright spots – a reminder that it’s the little things that truly matter.

There's more than thirty things. Deal with it.

1 – Unexpected morning messages, just when I needed them.

2 – Photos with friends; making memories.

3 – Lunch with Japanese friends. Travel anecdotes, favorite anime and how live-action adaptations always suck.

4 – Going formal on the spur of the moment. What’s life without a little carpe diem.

5 – Using a water jet on algae-covered concrete. Trust me, it’s very satisfying.

6 – Finding out a complex problem is finally on its way toward resolution. Suddenly the possibilities unfold. The future looks brighter.

7 – Spending time with my mom. Appreciate your parents while you can.

8 – Reading a great fantasy novel. Brandon Sanderson is the man.

9 – In a roundabout way, being inspired to work on my own fantasy novel. I realized that Brandon Sanderson and I actually have something in common: we both have favorite themes, which tend to recur in what we write. Successful people can be intimidating, until you realize they’re not that much different from you.

10 – Watching clouds drift lazily by, and the shadows they cast over distant hills, and green trees swaying in the breeze, and flocks of birds swooping in the sunlight. Knowing there’s an entire world out there, and it’s so much bigger than we are.




11 – Running around playing with hornbills. My job can be exciting sometimes.

12 – Discovering new music. Rock, man. Getting back to the sounds of my adolescence. My Chemical Romance might be broken up, but Sum 41 is still going strong.

Also falling asleep wrapped in something warm, listening to the sound of heavy rain.

13 – Being creative. Working on Wraithblade and coloring. Helps take you away from life’s problems.

14 – After explaining how our young hornbill was rescued, being told by tourists, Thank you for everything you do here.

Also an encouraging letter from my dad.

15 – Kittens! This list would not be complete without cats.





16 – Having a fun conversation with a complete stranger. Once I would have had no idea how to do this.

17 – Reading another good fantasy novel, which I won't link to because spoilers. Go read the first one.

18 – The thrill of applause. It’s fun acting like a frightened tourist wrapped in a python, and then carrying it out with complete nonchalance afterwards.

19 – Wandering around a nice shopping mall by myself. It can be fun doing things alone. You feel free.

20 – The ‘aha’ moment when you realize what you just read applies to you, and you now understand yourself just a little bit better. Mark Manson, yo. He’s good.

21 – Further advances in said problem.

22 –
After a long work week, having time to sit back and read.

23 – Thinking about what I want to study in future, and the blended fear and excitement of knowing I’m on my way there.

24 – A long talk about life and love with someone who understands.

25 – Taking a positive step towards my own self-improvement, and feeling motivated because of it.

Also an old friend dropping by at work. Always nice when that happens.

26 – Cuddling one of our friendliest macaws. It’s fun working with animals.

27 – Successful Christmas shopping; getting out of my comfort zone. It’s easy to forget that you must first have no idea what you’re doing in order to get better at knowing what you’re doing.

28 – Knowing I’m coming to terms with the way things are, and moving forwards.

Also simple banter and laughing over nonsense. Some things aren’t all doom and gloom.

29 – Randomly seeing a dog on a shop counter, doing a double take and going inside to pet it. What? I like dogs too.




30 – Spending time with my family. They might get on your nerves sometimes, but if you have people who love you, you’re richer than you think.





December 1 – Bonus entry! Finishing a video game I’ve been meaning to get to for ages.




Really long review coming soon.

Also talking things out with a friend. Catharsis is important. No matter how complicated life gets, everyone needs someone who cares.

And also making people look up what catharsis means.

Sorry, I couldn’t resist.





No comments:

Post a Comment