Saturday, May 7, 2022

All Things Change


So I’m thirty-one now. What is there to say about that?

You might have noticed that time speeding up has been a recent theme of mine. And I swear, last year’s birthday was just a little while ago. I wrote a tribute to my twenties. We had a party. This year we didn’t, which was just as well: it didn’t feel like much of an occasion. Today is the anniversary of the day I was born? Great, fantastic. Then I blink and it’s a week later. One of my cousins mentioned telling her students why she didn’t want to celebrate her birthdays either: they were growing up, while she was just getting older. That’s pretty relatable if you ask me. 

I always used to look forwards in life. The past only interested me in terms of lessons gleaned from bittersweet memories. It was something to get away from. Now, though, I have this nagging feeling that I’ve lost some innate piece of myself along the way and don’t know how to get it back. I used to read every book on the shelf and dream of being a fantasy author. Now I barely read or write at all anymore. Well, I barely read books; I spend plenty of time on the internet following the news and video game reviews and so on. But that’s a subject for another post.

It’s going on two years now since my mom died. Our lives together weren’t the best. There were so many times that I wish I’d had more empathy or been a better son. But we had some good times too, after the chemo did its poisonous work and cleared the cancer out of her system for a reprieve. We went out for pizza every month for years before that, long before the first tumour began to grow. Those were the good old days. If only I hadn’t taken them for granted.

I’ve been working at the same place for over nine years now, and I’ve seen it slowly decline over time. Vehicles wore out and could no longer be repaired. More and more people retired. Sections were closed off, damaged by landslides, reclaimed by nature. There was a gentle old uncle I used to take the bus with; he died in his early fifties before even reaching retirement. People I knew have had strokes, heart problems, kidney failure. Someone who’d been a little girl when I first joined grew up and had cancer in her teens. She passed away last year.

Entropy is the natural order of the universe, as they say. Change is the only constant.

I’ve been at the same place for nine years, but maybe 2022 will be the last. On Monday I start working somewhere else; temporarily, perhaps. Or maybe this will be the start of something new. I don’t know, and that bothers me, the not knowing. It’s at times like these that I feel unsettled, unsure, lacking in some vague and insidious way. There are things I should have done, that I should have more experience with, at age thirty-one. What does it mean that I don’t? Does it make me less of a person? There’s plenty more life to live, and yet I don’t feel like I’m growing up anymore. I’m just getting older.

I’m thirty-one years old, and if I live as long as my mom, that puts me squarely at the halfway point. Other people my age have gotten married, had kids, built stable careers, travelled to far-off places. What have I done, exactly? Written half-finished novels before losing interest? Carried pythons and handfed hornbills? Memorized animal facts, acted like a frightened tourist, gotten comfortable talking to strangers? I’ve got a lot of stories, to be sure. That just doesn’t feel like enough.

When I was a kid, the land our house sits on now was all paddy fields. My grandparents worked in them before I was born. Then the times changed, and the land was filled in for our different family members’ houses to be built. There are kids running around here now who’ve never known anything different, my nieces and nephew shooting up like weeds. Someday they’ll grow up and find that the world has changed for them as well. I wonder where I’ll be in life by then.

I don’t have a tidy lesson or ending to all this, because, well, there isn’t one. Life keeps moving on until it doesn’t, until an ending which is rarely painless or peaceful in any sense of the word. Normally I’d try to make this into some kind of inspirational bullshit like not thinking the neighbour’s grass is greener when they probably feel the same way about yours. Not today though.

Perhaps this is the human condition; to be constantly dissatisfied, uncertain, wanting just that little bit more out of life. To feel adrift in the ennui of it all. Perhaps tomorrow will be better, or it might be worse than today. We never know, do we.

All things change eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment